Today I am determined to convince you that summer does not mean eating poorly or not being able to follow a healthy diet. I want to show you how in summer we can follow a healthy diet, maintain our weight or even lose it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Main enemy: heat
- 2 How to lose weight in summer?
- 2.1 1. Hydrate
- 2.2 2. Eat healthy
- 2.3 3. Exercise every day
- 2.4 4. Summer tips and tricks
Main enemy: heat
Summer has many positive things: good weather, more hours of daylight, beach, swimming pool … but if it has any disadvantage, it is undoubtedly the heat . Not only because of how overwhelming it can be and how dangerous the sun can be for the skin, but because our body suffers a lot:
- Poor circulation : with high temperatures we swell, fluid retention increases and circulation worsens. This translates into heavier legs, a feeling of heaviness, even the appearance of varicose veins.
- Fatigue : Since we are more bloated, it is more difficult for us to pull ourselves and we tire more easily.
- Hypotension : many people suffer voltage dips caused by such high temperatures.
- Damage to the skin : the sun can burn our skin as well as favor the appearance of dark spots on the hands, face and chest. It is also very dangerous to spend many hours in the sun (more between 12 and 16 h), since it increases the risk of skin cancer. That is why I advise you to always go outside with a minimum of 30 sPF sunscreen.
- Bad mood
How to lose weight in summer?
Let’s see how food plays a main role in fighting the heat and how food should be in summer to maintain our weight or even lose it.
1. Hydrate yourself
Being well hydrated you can combat fluid retention, improve your mood and feel lighter. This way you will feel less bloated and look slimmer, at least with less volume.
- Always carry a small bottle of water with you: in your bag, in the car, at the office …
- Replace any other drink you drink with water (energy drinks, sugary, light or zero, alcoholic …)
- Choose to drink an infusion or tea.
- Choose soups, broths and consommés as the first courses of your meals and dinners
- Set a target amount for yourself and try to meet your challenge day by day!
Eat fruits and vegetables
- Cucumber → 95.70% water
- Tomato → 93.90% water
- The pepper → 92.60% water
- Watermelon → 91.90% water
- Melon → 88.40% water
- The peach → 88% water
A good option will be the tomato, watermelon or melon gazpacho and the cold cucumber cream.
Create your flavored water
Fill a large pitcher with ice water and add your favorite fruits and herbs for flavor. You will have a flavored water with zero sugars . The ingredients that you can use to prepare these waters or natural infusions are:
- Fruits : citrus (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit), berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries) tropical (pomegranate, mango, kiwi, papaya), melon, watermelon, pear, grape, plum, apple, banana, peach, nectarine.
- Vegetables: cucumber, carrot, celery.
- Aromatic herbs: mint, spearmint, sage, basil, rosemary, lavender, stevia, coriander, thyme.
- Spices : cinnamon, ginger, ground black pepper.
You can try these flavors: Grapefruit with mint, sage, rosemary or basil; Lemon with mint and basil or coriander; Lemon and lime with coriander; Lemon with ginger; Lemon with mandarin, pear and coriander; Orange with ginger and basil; Cucumber with lemon or lime, mint or basil; Cucumber with watermelon and mint; Carrot with apple, lemon and ginger; Carrot with pomegranate and sage …
Drink cold teas or infusions
It is another good and healthy alternative to refresh yourself and drink flavored water.
Make your own slushies
In the post ” terraces, beach and summer meals ” I explain how to make homemade slushies (and ice creams!: P)
2. Eat healthy
Take advantage of the variety of fruits and vegetables that the summer season offers us and create countless dishes combining these ingredients. Create various salads: only with vegetables, with fruits, with whole grains, with legumes … play with cooking, experience new flavors, cook, invent, try … Here are 3 recipes from El Comidista so that you have where to start:
TOMATO AND PLUM SALAD
GREEN BEANS WITH OLIVE VINAGRETTE
3. Exercise every day
Get into a cool gym or find the best times to go for a run. Stay active, as it will always accelerate your weight loss, remember that food is 65%, but the remaining 35% is physical activity.
4. Summer tips and tricks
- If you go out for lunch or dinner, opt for the salad from the menu, it will undoubtedly be the most refreshing and healthy option. But beware! Be careful with those that have very fatty cheeses, fried foods or very caloric sauces.
- If you decide to go for a drink, opt for homemade slushies, sparkling water and lemon, tonic without sugar … Even if it is a cocktail bar, you can propose your own flavored tonic without sugar to the bartender.
- If you go to the beach, be prepared: take your own snacks and drinks, so you will avoid going to the beach bar …
- If you feel heavy, try drinking a cold celery, onion and carrot broth before meals, it will help you eliminate fluids.
- If you feel bloated, increase the fiber in your diet.
- Hunger between meals: fruit skewers, fruit salad or just bite-sized fruit!
Eat the summer and lose weight!