In this article i willll discuses about Crohn’s disease. Crohn’s disease is a type of the inflammatory bowel disease. It can infect the whole digestive tract from your mouth to anus. This disease may also be characterized by abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss and malnutrition. This disease affects your GIT by causing the inflammation in any part of it. If the infection is severe, it may spread to the deeper layers of the infected tissue. The other complications of the disease outside the GIT may include anemia, skin rashes, arthritis, tiredness and inflammation in the eyes. The people who face the bowel obstruction in this disease may have the bowel cancer later. Crohn’s disease may lead to life-threatening complications. This article discusses the symptoms, causes, risk factors, diagnosis and the treatment of the disease.
The usual onset of the disease is between the age of 15 and 30 years. Its symptoms may range from mild to severe or you may face the period of remission that having no signs of the affecting disease. In some people the affected part of the GIT by the crohn’s disease may be the ileum but in some people it is the colon. Colon can be considered the most affected one. This disease usually affects your GIT but then comes up with serious complications. The symptoms of the disease may include:
- Abdominal pain ( it may be the very first symptom of the chron’s disease especially in the right lower abdominal region)
- Abdominal cramping
- Bloody stool with bright or dark red in color
- Mouth sores
- Reduced appetite
- Weight loss
- Pain or itchiness may be near or around the anus due to fistula (the connection made by the infected tissue with another organ) formation, inflammation and abscesses
- In severe cases, individual may have more than 20 bowel movements per day and may have the urge of defecation at night
- When the stomach and esophagus are affected by this disease, it may result in the dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing) along with upper abdominal pain and vomiting
- Chron’s disease when affect ileum may result in the formation of gallstones that is due to the decreased bile acid resorption
- Crohn’s disease may also involve the formation of the red nodules on the shins
Symptoms in severe cases:|
The person having the severe stage of the croh’s disease may have:
- Inflammation of eyes, skin and joints
- Stunted or delayed growth in children due to mal-absorption and the delayed sexual development
- Crohn’s disease may also cause the primary type of the bile duct or liver inflammation
The exact cause of the crohn’s disease is not known but the environmental factors and genetic pre-depositions may be the vectors. Chron’s disease may also involve the immune system. The considerable causes of the crohn’s disease are:
The genes may play role in the onset of the crohn’s disease. It has been seen commonly in the people having the family history of this disease. But the people who don’t have such family history of it may develop the disease.
Immune system:|Crohn’s disease
When the function of the immune system is impaired, it may result in the crohn’s disease. When a bacterium or virus attacks your GIT, the immune system may fight against it and with a negative mutation may attack the cell of the digestive tract too.
Risk factors:|Crohn’s disease
The risk factors of this disease may include:
The use of NSAIDs:|Crohn’s disease
When you consume the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs of this type such as iboprufen, naproxen sodium and diclofanec sodium, you may develop the severe bowel inflammation that may worsen the disease.
Smoking may also be the risk factor of the disease as it leads to more severe disease and increase the risk of surgery.
If you have any family history of the disease, you may develop it in later life.
Crohn’s disease may occur at any age but most likely between the age of 15 and 30 years.
The disease may be diagnose by:
- Intestinal biopsies
- Medical imaging
- CT scan
The disease can be treat by:
- Antibodies and anti-inflammatory drugs such as corticosteroid can be use to treat the disease.
- Crohn’s disease cannot be treated with surgery but Surgery is use only when there is complete blockage of the intestine.
- Fatigue can be reduce by regular exercise, a healthy diet, and enough sleep. If the high fiber diet causes the symptoms, you can take the low fiber diet.
So, in a nutshell crown’s disease is a very complicate disease that may render you unhealthy as the main body system which is affect is digestive system. But you can control or cure it with proper medication and living.