What to do if you suffer from kidney disease? In this article we will see a real dietary first aid kit for those who have or suspect kidney problems and want to change their diet with a view to a kidney-saving diet.
Given that it will be the nephrologist or the attending physician to prescribe a precise diet, it is still good to know how to behave immediately in general.
THE DIET SAVES KIDNEYS: ALL THE TIPS
First let’s see the main symptoms that should make you suspect you have a kidney problem.
SYMPTOMS SUGGESTING A KIDNEY PROBLEM.
If you experience fatigue, frequent cramps, weakness, water retention problems especially around the lower abdomen / hips, legs and feet, with swelling, if you urinate little despite the water drunk or taken through meals, if you suffer often of nausea, you have bouts of vomiting, headache, shortness of breath and problems falling asleep, this picture may indicate a kidney problem.
The kidney problem causes both electrolyte decompensation and fluid stagnation.
In this case, the doctor can offer you blood tests first and from there more specific tests.
While waiting, start immediately to implement these first dietary measures.
KIDNEY-SAVING DIET: THE FIRST THINGS TO DO IN DIET
- An increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, preferably raw or steamed or boiled.
- Drastic reduction of fries, excess salt and overly fatty condiments. Light cooking with the addition of oils only raw, or slow cooking (for example for stews and soups).
- Regular meals at times, with frequent snacks.
- Use of freshly squeezed juices, centrifuged 70% of vegetables and 30% of low-sugar fruit, waters with lemon juice, pure blueberry juice (also in dilution) and herbal teas to promote hydration with an adequate supply of minerals.
- Diet reduced in fat and higher in complex carbohydrates with a low glycemic index.
- Hearty breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner, to be consumed by eight, maximum eight thirty in the evening.
- Avoid sweetened juices, drinks with added sugar and fizzy drinks, beer and alcohol.
- In case of weight loss, introduce more raw olive oil, and make frequent snacks based on almonds, some walnuts.
- In general, it is best to drink more early in the day and while the sun is high, and avoid drinking too much in the evening or late afternoon when kidney function is not optimal. of protein in the diet, starting to take foods based on protein-free carbohydrates (usually also gluten-free).Furthermore, limiting the consumption of proteins to lean meats, white fish, some legumes or soy products, eggs or skimmed dairy products, in the doses of 120/130 grams of raw weight product divided into main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) . Find an example of a low protein diet here .