Many people who follow D as a Diet are in the critical age of pre-menopause or menopause, so let’s talk about women.
We talk about menopause when the loss of your period is more than one year.
Their main problem is the accumulation of weight that they have encountered due to hormonal changes: a lack of estradiol and progesterone that leads them to accumulate weight in the abdominal area, plus the many hassles that these changes entail.
So hot flashes, insomnia, irritability, swelling and so on.
Often a few extra pounds are found even though they have not changed their eating habits.
But when is it natural to gain weight in menopause and when should we worry?
The Mayo Clinic expert, Dr. Ekta Kapoor , graduated in Internal Medicine with a specialization in Endocrinology, talks about it.
Gaining weight on menopausal: do hormones have something to do with it?
- Hormones change the distribution of body fat in women , which moves from the hips to the belly. Very often, explains the expert, there is no substantial variation in weight. You lose weight at the bottom and gain it at the top.
- Very often the loss of lean mass typical of age makes the situation worse.
This thing is not about hormones, but age and obviously must be countered by doing a physical activity that tones the muscle mass, therefore aimed at muscle growth. This allows you to burn calories even at rest. Of course, we’re not talking about a lot of calories.
- A big problem for postmenopausal women is stress. In addition to seeing her body change, a postmenopausal woman often has symptoms that make her life worse. This results in greater listlessness. Instead of improving their habits, menopausal women often look for shortcuts to weight loss. They then buy supplements, pills, meal replacements in order to solve a complex problem with a quick fix. This clearly doesn’t help.
- If your weight gain is less than five pounds and remains so, the advice is to avoid crash diets and become more active. This weight gain is considered almost physiological. So just monitor your weight and do more activities. Only if you are over 5 kilos, it is better to go to a dietician.
Menopause. The insights of D as a Diet!
- Veronesi’s diet for menopause.
- Doctor Calabrese’s diet for menopause.
- Menopause, Dr. Kirk’s advice.
- Diet guide and natural supplementation in menopause.
- Weight loss diet for women over 50.
- Are you looking for more specific advice for menopause?