Many readers ask me this question: how to lose weight in menopause?
In the meantime, I’ll explain why you get fat in menopause and how to get back on track and lose the weight you have gained.
First of all: why do we gain weight with menopause?
There are several reasons: the first is hormonal.
- The decrease in estrogen leads to an accumulation of weight in the abdominal area and is the first sign that in the body of women it will lead to those changes that will end with the absence of the menstrual cycle.
- From a weight perspective, the hormonal shift causes many women to accumulate visceral fat around the abdomen ( source ), while a woman of childbearing age typically has more subcutaneous fat.
- In short, visceral fat is a more masculine fat, so to speak, and it is also the most dangerous to health.
- It is no coincidence that postmenopausal women are more prone to metabolic syndrome. Increased cholesterol, weight gain, blood pressure problems, increased blood sugar.
- Another fact that should not be underestimated is that with age the metabolism slows down.
And the female metabolism, let’s remember, is already low on its own compared to the male one.
Combine the two, and here are some of the main reasons why you get fat and get on your stomach after a certain age.
After this brief explanation, now let’s see how to lose weight in menopause and some really simple strategies to reduce weight even after the age of fifty.