How to improve bowel regularity? Feeling constipated and bloated is one of the worst sensations you can experience: automatically we also feel less energetic, more irritable and with the desire to do nothing. Worse, constipation is linked to a number of health problems, due to the fact that a blocked intestine can create inflammatory reactions and painful ailments such as diverticulitis or diverticulosis, creating pressure and stagnation along the colon wall. In this article we look at five ways to improve bowel regularity right away through nutrition.
INTESTINAL REGULARITY, HOW TO IMPROVE IT IN 5 STEPS
- Stop taking laxatives – it’s a dog chasing its own tail. One takes the laxative to get rid, but this practice should only be used in cases of severe constipation. The reason why the laxative is counterproductive is the progressive depletion of the bacterial flora, which is weakened, as well as the fact that natural peristalsis is compromised if we rely on laxatives to go to the bathroom. Furthermore, swelling and water retention are typical contraindications to the use of laxative as a frequent practice, even if we rely on natural products.
- Start the day with a probiotic: Before breakfast, it’s a good habit to have a probiotic drink. In cases of severe impairment of intestinal regularity, a broad-spectrum prebiotic can be used, while a probiotic drink such as kefir or fermented milk can usually be taken every morning, even in doses of 150 ml (a small glass). The drink should be drunk first and absolutely not sweetened.
- Have breakfast with oats and foods rich in magnesium: avena sativa is a panacea due to its fibers, which have an important intestinal prebiotic action. After drinking our kefir , we have breakfast with a porridge useful for the intestine : we boil 30 grams of oat flakes in 160 ml of water with a pinch of salt until obtaining a cream, to which add half a teaspoon of honey and Ceylon cinnamon powder. Once the mixture is cooked, cold add 100 g of delactosed Greek yogurt (quark or skir are excellent alternatives) to the natural and foods rich in magnesium, which has an antispastic and muscle relaxant function of the intestinal walls. For example 10 gr of extra dark chocolate and 2 chopped walnuts. Our cream is ready. For those who don’t have time to make a porridge in the morning, just keep the same quantity of cold flakes in water the night before, then drain and blend them quickly in a blender with the other ingredients.
- Take mild herbal teas for laxative use: even laxative herbal teas can be contraindicated to promote intestinal regularity if they are too strong. Better a milder herbal tea, with a belly-deflating and slightly laxative action . Boil a tablespoon of fennel seeds, a tablespoon of star anise and a tablespoon of cumin seeds in 250 ml of water. Drink the sugar-free herbal tea twice, during the afternoon.
- Keep Calm and Raise Your Buttocks: Many people with high regularity go through a stressful situation. The “stressors” can be many, from disturbed sleep to a low-calorie diet to work problems. Reducing all sources of stress is essential to help our gut. And above all, move. Walking every day is a great way to reduce sedentary lifestyle and promote proper intestinal functioning: it also reduces stress.
Jolly tip: the fats! Be careful not to eat a diet that is too low in fat. If you suffer from intestinal regularity, avoid seed oils, and prefer good fats, such as a drizzle of raw extra virgin olive oil in dishes or a tablespoon and a half of coconut oil with which to cook food during the day.