A multidisciplinary study involving researchers from Imperial Clinical Research in Hammersmith, those of the University of Copenhagen and those of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) has discovered an effective hormone therapy for fast weight loss.
This therapy could be a viable alternative to bariatric surgery, the experts explained.
They advised two groups of obese people to eat better while a third group followed a very drastic and low-calorie diet of 800 calories a day.
- A group of the first two was treated with a saline placebo therapy.
- The second group instead received hormone therapy injected under the skin for 12 hours a day, with a medical device that they could easily use at home.
- Finally, the results were compared with those of a fourth group who underwent bariatric surgery. It was therefore a very rigorous study.
- All the groups were then subjected to accurate analyzes to establish their metabolism, their body composition, their levels of blood lipids, sugars, insulin, their liver levels.
- The study lasted 4 weeks, with follow-up periods in the following months, and included about seventy obese participants aged 18 to 70.
These were the results.
DISCOVER A HORMONAL THERAPY TO LOSE FAST
Those who underwent bariatric surgery lost about 10 kilos in 4 weeks, those who underwent the crash diet 8.
Those who had the simple subcutaneous injection of hormones lost about four and a half kilos in 4 weeks, despite not being on a diet low calorie. Finally, having had the saline solution, he lost an average of two and a half.
Considering that the two groups that received the subcutaneous solution did not eat a low-calorie diet, the results of hormone therapy are very encouraging. In fact, those who received hormone therapy ate less because they were less hungry.
Blood glucose was lowered only in the hormone therapy group and in the one who followed the 800-calorie diet.
But what did this therapy consist of?
WHAT IS HORMONAL THERAPY TO LOSE FAST
The researchers renamed it GOP. It is a therapy based on three hormones secreted in the intestine.
Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) or a peptide similar to glucagon, oxintomodulin (OXM) and peptide YY (PYY), two gastrointestinal peptides with hormonal function. These metabolites balance the daily calorie intake by promoting satiety.
Hormone therapy was well tolerated.
Indeed, study participants who received the GOP were able to eat less without dieting.
The researchers, while further confirmation is needed on larger populations, say they are optimistic.
GOP hormone therapy allows you to lose weight quickly.
And it could be the solution to bariatric surgery, which as we know is invasive and not without the risk of complications.
The results were published in the journal Diabetes Care, and can be read for free here.