Detox is an English term that means detoxify, that is to free your body from substances with a toxic effect .
Detox is a 360 ° term and refers to detoxification from food, but also from alcohol, drugs, drugs, etc. In reality, however, in common use, it has become a way of referring above all to those diets and those foods that can make the body’s normal purification and detoxification mechanisms work better .
There are many methods and many different diets that can be traced back to the term detox, some of which have been in vogue for decades.
Let’s make a rundown, for purely informative purposes, without going into too specific and without pretending to be exhaustive, given the vastness of the topic.
Detox diets are dietary regimes aimed at purifying the body of accumulated toxins through the consumption of junk food and nervine drinks, environmental pollution, the use of drugs and even psychological stress.
The aim is therefore to improve the general health of the organism rather than weight loss even if, given the nature of detoxifying diets , there is still weight loss.
Many detox diets can be followed for a period ranging from 1 to 7 days , as they are too limiting to guarantee the body all the necessary nourishment. We show some of the most famous.
- Grape detox diet : Consists of eating only this fruit for 3-5 days.
- Citrus-based detox diet : consists of eating only citrus or citrus mixed with other fruits for up to 7 days.
- Detox diet based on fruits and vegetables : consists of eating only fruit and vegetables for up to 7 days , trying to vary a lot. The famous minestrone diet , for example, falls into this category.
- Liquid-based detox diet : consists of consuming only liquids for 1/3 days. Water, tea, herbal teas , fruit juices, fruit and / or vegetable-based smoothies and smoothies, protein shakes are allowed.
Find out how to make centrifuged to cleanse and get back in shape for the summer
Detox methods and detox lifestyle
There are, then, some “maintenance” practices that are part of the longer-term detox methods:
- Drink plenty of water , especially water with a particularly low fixed residue.
- Drink a drink of water and lemon juice in the morning as soon as you get up, prepared by squeezing a lemon or half a lemon in a glass of warm water, sweetening with a teaspoon of maple syrup or honey.
- Don’t smoke .
- Consume lots of fruits and vegetables, especially the types that are higher in water and fiber, which are considered detoxifying foods .
- Avoid all products considered “intoxicating” : ready meals, fast-food foods, additives, animal fats, coffee, alcohol, refined flours and white sugar, table salt, heavy metals …
- Avoid exposure to environmental pollution as much as possible .
- Limit the use of medications.
- Begin mental stabilization paths that help fight stress, for example meditation and yoga .
- Do a lot of physical activity .
Detox or not detox?
Under the concept of detox there is also a whole series of parallel practices , which we can at least define bizarre, we mention a few: enemas, chelating therapies, removal of dental fillings, thermal suits, urinotherapy … which are not based on any scientific evidence.
Diets and detox methods are highly controversial. If some of the practices listed are actually useful for the general well-being of the organism, others can seriously damage it.
The organism, in fact, has autonomous detoxification systems; to make them work well you need to eat healthy and follow a correct lifestyle.
Overly restrictive diets and other bizarre practices can severely damage these systems and be dangerous to health.
We therefore invite you to very critically evaluate all diets and so-called “detox” methods , taking what is good and avoiding, instead, what can be harmful.